Meaningful Use is a national initiative to implement information technology for the ultimate purpose of improving patient care. The approach has been presented in three distinct stages and includes three public health menu set objectives:
- Stage 1: Data collection & sharing (implementation of electronic health record systems) - achieve during FFY 2011-2013*
- Stage 2: Advanced clinical processes - achieve during FFY 2014-2015*
- Stage 3: Improved outcomes - achieve during FFY 2016-2017*
*These are general time frames.
Iowa Department of Public Health readiness:
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Meaningful Use Public Health Repository is not yet available. This repository is where public health agencies indicate meaningful use readiness and eligible hospitals (EHs), critical access hospitals (CAHs), and eligible professionals (EPs) declare their intent to pursue public health measures. This page will be updated and provide the link to the repository When the repository is available.For now, see the Public Health Meaningful Use letter posted at: http://www.iowaehealth.org/documents/cms/docs/Resources/Meaningful_Use/IDPH_Meaningful_Use_letter.pdf
Organizations are currently working toward meeting Meaningful Use Stage 1 and 2 objectives
Stage 1 MU has 3 Menu Set Public Health objectives, which involve electronic submission of data.
Submission to Immunization Registries - IDPH is Ready
Submission of Reportable Lab Results (electronic laboratory reporting or ELR) - IDPH is Ready
- Objective: Capability to submit electronic data on reportable (as required by state or local law) lab results to PH agencies and actual submission in accordance with applicable law and practice.
- More information available at: http://www.idph.state.ia.us/adper/idss.asp
Public Health Surveillance (Syndromic Surveillance) - IDPH is NOT Ready
Report cancer cases to a State cancer registry - IDPH/SHRI is Ready
- Capability to identify and report cancer cases to a public health central cancer registry, except where prohibited, and in accordance with applicable law and practice.
- The State Health Registry of Iowa/Iowa Cancer Registry is working with IDPH and the IHIN to move forward with the objectives of Stage 2 MU in Iowa. A timeframe has not yet been determined. Information about the reporting file layout can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/ehrmeaningfuluse/cancer.html If you are interested in testing with the Iowa Cancer Registry, please see contact information for the Registry Director, Kathleen McKeen, in the document posted at the top of this page under Iowa Department of Public Health Readiness.
Iowa Health Information Network
The Iowa Department of Public Health is leading a project to establish a statewide health information network. Please visit the Iowa e-health web site for more information: http://www.iowaehealth.org/provider/resources_meaningfuluse.html