To create a culturally competent health community which embraces the state's racial, ethnic, and cultural populations to decrease health disparities and provide the best possible outcomes for each individual.
- Assist in fostering partnerships between state government programs, local governments, community groups, and ethnic/racial communities.
- Assist in policy analysis to improve health care access and services for minority populations.
- Assist in capacity building through technical assistance and strategic planning.
- Increase awareness about minority health issues and services within state and local programs and organizations.
- Advocate for policies and practices that will reduce health disparities among the state's minority, immigrant, and refugee populations.
- Provide opportunities for and assistance with undergraduate and graduate internship programming.
- Represent the state of Iowa with the federal Office of Minority Health and the regional Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Public Health and Science for Region V and other conference planning or subcommittees, as invited.
Strategic Plan 2012 - 2017
Strategic Plan 2007 - 2011
Strategy Planning Documentation - August 2012
Toolkit for Community Action
This tool was produced by the National Partnership for Action to End Health Disparities (NPA) to be used in conjunction with the National Stakeholder Strategy for Achieving Health Equity from the HHS Office of Minority Health (OMH)
Please use it and share freely with your partners, stakeholders, organizations and the public
For more information, please contact:
- Minority Health Consultant
Janice Edmunds-Wells, MSW
Iowa Department of Public Health
Office of Multicultural Health
Lucas State Office Building
321 East 12th Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50319
- You may also use the "Contact Us" page to submit questions online.