A two year action plan was finalized in January 2010 by the IDPH with the guidance from the HAI Prevention Steering Committee to determine the next steps needed to begin reducing preventable HAIs.
The plan has identified the following steps:
- Target 2 preventable infections that impact Iowans in both rural and urban, and acute and long term care settings
- Support efforts at Iowa hospitals to detect and report the same infections the same way with a nationally known system for surveillance
- Support the work underway in HAI prevention with the Iowa Healthcare Collaborative
- Expand detection of new or resistant infections through the University Hygienic Laboratory
- Convene experts as well as consumer groups to guide HAI prevention efforts
- Provide education to healthcare providers and Iowans on the prevention of HAIs
- Guide Iowa hospital staff in HAI Prevention activities
For more information on HAI's:
- Call (515) 242-5935, or
- 1 (800) 362-2736, or
- Use the "Contact Us" page to submit questions online.