Link to Form
All child and dependent adult abuse mandatory reporter curricula have to be approved by the Iowa Department of Public Health or by a licensing or examining board. There are three (3) ways to obtain curricula approvals:
- A provider chooses to use a curriculum developed by another provider who has already received approval of the curriculum.
(The system appears complicated, but it is necessary since some curricula are copyrighted and require permission to use).
A corporation, consortium, management company, etc. chooses to have all of the providers under their umbrella use the same approval number.
- The applicant is required to submit one (1) copy of the Application for Use of Already-Approved Curriculum   form to the provider whose curriculum they want to use.
- Once the original provider signs the application form indicating their approval to use the curriculum and attaches a letter on their letterhead, the original provider sends the application form and letter to the Iowa Department of Public Health for an Abuse Education Review and approval.
- The application is reviewed and if approved, the department issues an approval number and approval dates covering a three (3) year period to the applicant and sends the applicant a letter of approval.
- The approval is good for three (3) years, at which time it needs to be renewed. (Refer to the Renewal Process bullet on the Home Page of this website).
- If the application is not approved, the department will notify the applicant of the reasons for denial of approval.
- See the link above for the application form.
- ABC Hospital developed a curriculum covering all of the required components, submitted it to the Iowa Department of Public Health through the Abuse Education Review Process, and was assigned an approval number (#10).
- XYZ Hospital wants to use the same curriculum that ABC Hospital is using.
- XYZ Hospital fills out the Application for Use of Already-Approved Curriculum  . The top portion of the form asks for information about XYZ Hospital as the applicant. The bottom of the form asks for information about the ABC Hospital curriculum #10.
- XYZ Hospital sends the application form to ABC Hospital for permission to use curriculum #10.
- ABC Hospital signs the form, attaches a letter of approval on their letterhead, and sends the signed form and letter to the Iowa Department of Public Health for the Abuse Education Review Process.
- The department approves the application and assigns an approval number (#72) to XYZ Hospital.
- (XYZ Hospital receives approval to use the same curriculum as ABC Hospital, but cannot use the approval #10 because that number is assigned specifically to ABC Hospital).
A licensing or examining board may choose to approve curricula using a system devised by that board.
- Instead of each provider in a group applying for a separate approval number, in some cases, a corporation, consortium, management company, etc. can apply for one approval number to be used by all providers within that group to use the same curriculum.
- The corporation, consortium, management company, etc. follows the procedures outlined above to use a curriculum developed by another provider.
- The corporation, consortium, management company, etc. receives a letter with an approval number and approval dates covering a three (3) year period to be used by all providers within that group.
- The providers are listed as corporate links in the Iowa Department of Public Health Abuse Education Review database.
<< Back to the Abuse Education Review Panel Home
Documents denoted by are available in Portable Document Format (.pdf).