The Iowa Smokefree Air Act made all schools in Iowa, including their grounds, smokefree but did not address the use of non-smoked tobacco products. The Division of Tobacco Use Prevention and Control as been working with local partners and schools to create a Comprehensive Tobacco/Nicotine Free School Policy that districts can voluntarily adopt. The database below is a current database of schools in Iowa and their tobacco use policy.
A comprehensive tobacco free schools policy contain:
*Policy must extend to all types of tobacco and nicotine products (i.e. not only cigarettes; consider including, but not limited to products such as dissolvable, spit less, snus, chewing, and electronic cigarettes)
* Policy must extend to employees, students & visitors
* Policy must apply at all times, including school-sponsored & nonschool-sponsored events
* Policy must extend to school vehicles
* Policy must include steps to address violators
* Policy must determine an enforcing entity (e.g., “the administration”)