Governor's Council on Physical Fitness & Nutrition
The Governor's Council on Physical Fitness and Nutrition consists of twelve members appointed by the Governor who have expertise in physical activity, physical fitness, nutrition and promoting healthy behaviors. The Council:
- Assists IDPH in developing a strategy for implementation of the comprehensive statewide plan for nutrition and physical activity developed by Iowans Fit for Life, a program within the Health Promotion unit of IDPH.
- Assists IDPH in establishing and promoting a best practices internet site promoting wellness.
- Provides oversight for the Iowa Governor's Challenge for Physical Fitness and Nutrition.
Vision: Iowa will be the healthiest state in the nation.
Mission: Promote a healthier lifestyle through regular activity, proper nutrition and the development of healthy communities for all Iowans.
Visit the Governor's Council on Physical Fitness and Nutrition Web site www.healthyiowa.gov for more information on the current initiatives of the Council:
- Partnering with the Iowa Sports Foundation to implement Live Healthy Iowa Kids/Governor’s Challenge,
- Promoting the USDA Healthier US School Challenge criteria for schools, and
- Partnering with the Wellness Council of Iowa to provide Healthy Iowa Awards for schools and colleges as worksites and communities.