In 2012, there were 3,005 Iowa adults tested:
- The IA adult blood lead level (BLL) average result was 8 micrograms per deciliter (mcg/dL). The range of blood lead tests results was <1 to 97 mcg/dL.
- The US adult BLL average is estimated to be 1.2 mcg/dL.
A BLL of 10 mcg/dL or higher is currently considered elevated for adults. In 2012, there were:
- 818 Iowa adults with BLLs of 10 mcg/dL or higher.
- 196 Iowa adults had BLLs of 25 mcg/dL or higher.
- 22 Iowa adults had BLLs of 40 mcg/dL or higher.
Iowa continues to be one of the top 7 states for adult lead exposure by rate.
- 2011 rates: US = 6.4 compared to IA = 15.3 EBL/100,000 employed persons at 25 mcg/dL or higher.